TurnKey Joomla


Department of Social Services
5 East Court Street, Suite 101
Rocky Mount, VA  24151

Phone: 540-483-9247

Deborah Powell, Director
E-mail: Social Services

Monday - Friday
8:30 am - 4:30 pm 



Social Services

The Franklin County Department of Social Services is one of 120 local departments in Virginia's public social services system. The Department is an agency of county government which administers federal, state, and local public assistance and social work service programs.


Administration, Finance & Human Resources
5 East Court Street, Suite 101
Rocky Mount VA 24151

Service Programs (Adult Protective Services, Child Protective Services, Foster Care & Prevention, TANF, View and Child Care Units)
120 East Court Street
Rocky Mount VA 24151

Other Eligibility Programs (SNAP, Medicaid & Energy)
11161 Virgil H Goode Hwy.
Rocky Mount VA 24151


Our mission is to protect the vulnerable, promote self sufficiency or maximum economic independence, and prevent negative social outcomes for the residents of Franklin County. 

Other Items of Interest

September 8, 2016 - The processing systems we use for Benefits are being changed in October, which could cause delays in the receipt of benefits and may actually move the day you normally receive your benefits as the Case Numbers may change as well due to the new system.

September 8, 2016 - Energy Assistance starts on October 17, 2016 this year through December 15th, 2016. Crisis is November 1st, 2016 through March 16th, 2017.  You can also apply online at the CommonHelp website.

CommonHelp - CommonHelp  is a web-based system that allows Virginia citizens 24/7 easy access to screen and apply for Cash Assistance (TANF), Child Care Services, Energy Assistance (Fuel, Crisis and Cooling), Food Assistance (SNAP) and Medical Assistance. You can also renew your eligibility and report changes for all programs noted on the CommonHelp website.  

The Work Requirement or Able Bodied Adults Without Dependents became effective October 1, 2013. The work requirement mandates that all persons who are able to work must be working or actively engaged in a work activity in order to receive SNAP.

Virginia Freedom of Information Advisory Council Information

In accordance with federal law and U. S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs, or disability. 

To file a complaint of discrimination, write to the USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TTY).

Contact Us

1255 Franklin Street | Rocky Mount, VA 24151
(540) 483-3030 | info@franklincountyva.gov
Copyright © 2017. All Rights Reserved.