Download and print out guidelines to help you with filling out the application.
No more than 3 pages can be submitted along with the application (min. 12 pt. font). Ensure the following ten questions are addressed. There is a 1500 character limit on each of these boxes.If you have additional pages, please email directly to David.Rotenizer@franklincountyva.gov.
If you are applying for a Franklin County Tourism Marketing MicroGrant to cover more than one event or project by your business or organization, each event or project must be listed on a separate Contact Information Form. Please submit all forms together.
If a field does not apply to you, please enter N/A.
By checking the "I agree" box below, you agree and acknowledge that 1) your application will not be signed in the sense of a traditional paper document, 2) by signing in this alternate manner, you authorize your electronic signature to be valid and binding upon you to the same force and effect as a handwritten signature, and 3) you may still be required to provide a traditional signature at a later date.
Please send "other" expenses on a separate sheet directly to David Rotenizer.
List all sources of revenue and amount dedicated to the event or project. In-kind contributions should be listed in the appropriate section. Do not include revenues expected to be generated by ticket sales or concessions.
I/We hereby certify that the information supplied in this application is true and correct and that I/we have read and understand the attached Program Overview that govern this grant program. Furthermore, I/we understand that if the grant is awarded, any proposed changes to the grant must be submitted to the Franklin County Office of Economic Development - Tourism in writing and receive written approval before changes can be implemented. I/We acknowledge that any variance from or violation of the rules and procedures that govern the Franklin County Tourism Marketing MicroGrant Program may result in non-reimbursement of any or all expenditures attributed to grant funds.
The applicant must disclose in the application any personal financial benefit to be gained or conflicts of interest that may exist regarding any member of the applicant organization.
* “Direct financial benefit” means that a portion of the total project cost will be received by a member of the applicant organization or by an entity in which the applicant organization, representative or employee has an ownership interest.
** Failure to disclose this information may result in the cancellation of any grant previously approved by Franklin County and the disqualification of the applicant and its representatives from future grant awards.
Step 1. Go to http://admin.virginia.org/. You can also go to www.Virginia.org scroll to bottom of page and click “Add/Update Your Listings”. You will be redirected to the Administration Tool Login page.
Step 2. Login to your account. If you do not have an account, click the “Register” button to create one for free.
CREATING A LISTING
Step 1. From the Dashboard select “Add a New Listing”
Step 2. Create the listing by completing all areas with asterisks (*) and in BOLD.
TIP: Make only one listing for an event (not a listing for each occurrence of an event), then select dates/times for each occurrence on the Details screen.
Overview (Step 1 of 5) screen:
• Listing Name: When creating a listing name do not use “1st, 2nd, etc.” for annual events – just use the term “Annual”. Next year you can reuse the same listing and update the date/time and description, this will allow you to keep the same listing URL which search engines already have cached thus making you more visible in search engine results.
• Listing Venue: Use the full name of your venue, not what it is commonly called.
• Listing Category: Always use Events & Exhibits.
• Street Address: Use the address where the event is being held. Visitors will use this for GPS.
• Locality: Make sure to select Franklin as the Locality, not Franklin City.
• Phone: Enter the primary contact telephone number for visitors to call for more information.
• Phone Description: You can leave this field blank unless you want the text to appear next to the phone number, this will automatically be placed in parentheses.
• Website: Fill in the website address for the event or event information.
• Website Name/Description: You may leave this field blank –the text does not appear on the listing.
• Email: Fill in the email address that visitors can use to request more information.
• Email Description: You may leave this field blank –the text does not appear on the listing.
• Click on the button “Show Me the Map”. If the pointer is in the wrong place, just click it and drag it to the correct spot on the map.
• Additional Contact Info: If you choose to add additional phone numbers or email addresses, type in a description to appear next to the number in parentheses so travelers know what they are for. For example: If the number belongs to the venue, type in “Venue Information”.
• Additional Websites/Social Media Links: Select the type. Type in the URL (website address). Write description (for website type write the name of the website – this text will appear on the listing; all others types text in description will not appear but instead will have appropriate icon). Booking type will display a “BOOK NOW” button on the listing that is linked to the URL indicated. Click “Add Website”. Continue adding more types. You may add multiple website.
Details (Step 2 of 5) screen:
• Select if this listings is an event or an exhibit. For events, you may select up to 5 subcategories that are relevant to your listing. These are used by VTC when looking for content for their travel blog or when they make separate listings for specific experiences.
• Fees: If your event has a fee, check the box and write a description of the fee. If your event is free it is still recommended to check the box and type FREE so that it appears on your listing letting travelers know there is no cost.
• Selecting your dates: It is best to use Option 2 so that it feeds into our events calendar correctly. Select your date and indicate your start time, you may also select an end time but it’s not required. Select multiple dates by clicking on each date – they will be highlighted, to unselect a date just click it again. Once you’ve made your selections, click add to see it added to the Listings schedule. You may list occurrences up to 5 years in advance.
• If the venue is wheelchair accessible and meets all 4 criteria, select the certification box and wheelchair accessibility box so that an ADA icon is displayed with the listing.
Description (Step 3 of 5) screen: (200 word limit)
• Do not copy & paste text with formatting. This section only allows plain text and unformatted text. Type directly into field or first copy text to “notepad” to convert to plain text, then copy & paste into this section. You can also copy text to MS Word, highlight it then select icon to clear formatting before pasting into this section.
• Be descriptive and make it interesting. Keep your audience in mind - remember that your audience may not be from the area so you want to let them know why it’s worth them visiting the area and attending your event. What makes your event unique? What type of experience can they expect?
• The listing name and description are Search Engine Optimized (SEO). The first phrase (20 or so words) of your description will appear under the event title in organic search engine results.
• Once you have composed your text, it is beneficial to go back and break text into small “bite size” paragraphs. Research has shown that readers will remain more engaged when paragraphs are not long and bulky… break it up, break it up, break it up.
• Listing summary section: This text will appear under the listing title on search results in Virginia.org. The text should not include any references to dates as it will not be immediately updated when the listing is reused later.
Images (Step 4 of 5) screen:
• Use Browse button to upload an image to your image library or scroll through your image library inventory. Uploaded images must be in a JPEG format. It is recommended to use more than one image so that your listing has a slideshow. The first image will be used as your primary image on event lists. You can sort the order of your images by using the up and down arrows.
• Recommended image guidelines:
• Landscape (Portrait images will be cut off about half way)
• Image should have visual padding on all edges
• High Resolution preferred: no more than 1600 x 800 pixels. Resolution can be lower but should have correct aspect ratio.
• Aspect ratio of 2:1.
• Remember to check “I agree” box before clicking next step.
Review and Confirmation (Step 5 of 5) screen:
• ALWAYS preview your listing & check for typos before clicking “Confirm and Submit”.
Step 3. Use Advance Options. You can add key words to maximize your view in search results and link this listing to your other listings so they cross-promote each other.
REUSING AND UPDATING AN EXISTING LISTING
NOTE: Reusing an existing listing allows you to use the URL that is already in the VTC search results and search engine databases. Recycled URLs will display an active listing on the Virginia.org website and search results immediately after approval. New listing URLs take longer to display on VTC search results and search engines.
Step 1. From your Administration Tools Dashboard. Scroll down to the listings you wish to reuse/update. You can also click on “See All Listings” and do a search by name.
Step 2. Click on the listing name. You will be taken to the listing view screen. Here you can also select preview to view the listing without making any changes.
Step 3. To make changes click “Edit”. A message will appear asking if you want to remove your listing from the site until approved. We recommend to select “No” so the current listing is still viewable and no error message is received by the public while pending approval. However, if your listings contains wrong date & time info then it may be best to remove from the site until your changes are approved.
Step 4. Follow directions in Step 2 and 3 of Creating a Listing above.
This field is not part of the form submission.
* indicates a required field